Monday, September 22, 2008

Apple Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits


My friends love to make fun of the fact that I am so obsessed with my puppies...but how could you not be? They are the cutest, most funny little people...I mean DOGS!!! I decided that since they enjoy treats so much that it would be fun to make some from scratch. Coincidentally, right around the time this urge struck, a poster on the CLBB asked the rest of us for dog biscuit recipes. Joe, everyone's absolute favorite member of the BB, recommended this recipe and the little guys can't get enough of them!

Apple Peanut Butter Biscuits

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, whisk together flours.

In a medium bowl, whisk together applesauce, peanut butter, water, oil and honey until smooth. Add the dry ingredients, one cup at a time, into the wet and stir until combined. Scoop the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead a few times until it completely comes together and is smooth, adding enough additional whole wheat flour to keep it from sticking.

Roll the dough about 1/4" thick - cut out as many shapes as you can and place them on parchment lined baking sheets. Repeat rolling and cutting until you have used up all of the dough.

Bake until the biscuits are golden, about 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway though. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

Depending on your biscuit cutter size, the recipe can make a couple to several dozen biscuits.







I made these exactly as instructed (except for subbing crunchy PB) and used dinosaur shaped cookie cutters to cut the cookies from the dough. The puppies went absolutely crazy for them. Cousin Timmy tasted one "just to see" how it was. He said they were "OK" but should probably be left for the dogs, however I swear I saw him eyeing them up later!! We just ran out of the first batch, which made tons of biscuits. I guess I know what I will be making this Sunday, I wouldn't want my little guys to be deprived of their favorite treats!!

-Heather

No comments: