Monday, September 29, 2008

Garlic-Rubbed Flank Steak

Red meat scares me. I don't know why, but I am so uncomfortable when cooking with it. I really enjoy the taste...but chicken is so easy and safe, it is usually my fall back. Terrytx, a member of the Cooking Light BB whose opinion I trust completely, recommended CL's Garlic-Rubbed Flank Steak. It was given an excellent review so I just had to try it. We have now made it twice and I can say that it is fantastic! It is an easy weeknight meal, but I would also serve it to guests and a feel that they would be impressed (NOT that I have the type of friends who I feel I need to impress!)

Garlic-Rubbed Flank Steak
Cooking Light

Yield

8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)

Ingredients

  • 1 (2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Rub steak evenly with salt, pepper, and garlic. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 6 minutes. Turn steak over; cover and grill 4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steak from grill; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.

Nutritional Information

Calories:153 (32% from fat)

Fat:5.5g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.2g)

Protein:23.8g

Carbohydrate:0.3g

Fiber:0.1g

Cholesterol:37mg

Iron:1.5mg

Sodium:227mg

Calcium:19mg





The grilling time is extremely important with this, a few extra minutes on the grill and it will become tough. Extra garlic was added to this simple recipe because I add extra garlic to everything, I pretty much smell like garlic at all times. We topped this Garlic-Rubbed Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, the recipe can be found under "sauces." This combination of flavors is sensational. This was served with Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese and sauteed zucchini and yellow squash.

-Heather



No comments: