Monday, September 8, 2008

Classic Waffles

School is back in full swing and my life has fallen into that familiar organized pattern that the fall seems to bring with it. August was a wonderful time, we packed an entire summer vacation into that single month. I attempted many different dishes but never found the time to post them, so September is officially my “catch up” month.


Breakfast is a meal that I enjoy making and eating when I actually have the time. School breakfasts for me usually consist of something that is easily transported and eaten because I am usually wolfing it down during the middle of class or between class periods. When I saw that SheRa (Ashley) on the Cooking Light BB had posted a waffle recipe I knew I needed to try it. Recommendations by SheRa always seem to lead me in the right direction. This time was no different, we really enjoyed this recipe for Classic Waffles which was posted on Allrecipes.com by Megan.


Classic
Waffles

allrecipes.com - Megan

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups warm milk
⅓ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 25 Minutes
Servings: 5

"Simple waffles made with flour, egg, butter and sugar."

1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.

2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.

3. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.

These waffles were wonderful and a nice change from breakfast sandwiches. I subbed white whole wheat flour for the regular flour and it worked out well. Terry was excited that we finally had a chance to use the waffle iron that he rescued from the old home economics room at his school. The Classic Waffles recipe has already been repeated and I would assume it will make an appearance at least once a month in our home.



-Heather

No comments: