Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heather's Enchiladas



When I moved to The City of Orange during the summer of 2003, Terry and I almost always went to Margarita Mondays at Acapulco's Restaurant. I didn't have to look at a menu, and our waiter who has become our friend never had to ask. I ALWAYS ordered their shrimp enchiladas. I have tried many enchilada recipes over the past few years. Considering all of these recipes, and with the Acapulco's enchiladas in the back of my mind, I have developed this recipe. Heather's Enchiladas are light, fresh and very versatile. You can play with the ingredients, adding more of what you like, and any protein will work well with this vegetable combination. When making these last night I used pan seared shrimp for me and baked Mexican spiced chicken for Terry.

Heather's Enchiladas


1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen thawed or fresh corn
1 large tomato, or two Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 standard sized jar prepared tomatillo salsa, divided
10 flour or corn tortillas (6 inch)
1 cup crumbled queso anejo, or farmer cheese
1 pound of cooked protein (shrimp, beef, chicken)


Preheat broiler.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, green onions, cumin and 1/2 cup salsa. Microwave until heated through, about two minutes.

Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.

Spoon about 1/3 cup hot bean mixture down the center of a tortilla, then add the protein of your choice.

Roll up and place seam side down in prepared pan. Repeat until all the filling is used.

Pour the remaining salsa evenly over the enchiladas.

Top with cheese.

Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat until heated through and the cheese melts, 5 to 6 minutes.



Place the black beans, corn, tomato, green onions, cumin and 1/2 cup of the tomatillo salsa in a microwave safe bowl.


Mix ingredients together. Microwave until heated through.


Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.


Spoon about 1/3 cup of the black bean mixture into a tortilla.


Place the protein of your choice on top of the black bean mixture.


Continue filling tortillas until the black bean mixture and your protein are gone.


Place the filled tortillas seam side down.


Fill the baking pan completely.


Pour the remaining salsa over the filled tortillas.


Sprinkle over the top with the cheese.


Place the pan in the oven 5/6 inches away from the broiler and broil for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.


Remove the enchiladas from the oven and serve.

I literally cannot wait until lunch today to eat my leftover Heather's Enchiladas. These turned out really well as always, it is such a simple recipe that the results are good every time. I love the shrimp added in, but Terry wanted to stick with the Mexican spiced chicken, as that is the way that I usually prepare it. This is one of the reasons I love this recipe so much, things can be substituted, changed, left out, etc, there is so much room for experimentation. I served this with some leftover Mexican Rice which I had in the freezer, the last time I made the rice I doubled the recipe. Heather's Enchiladas will be a family favorite, I highly recommend giving them a try, adding what you like, and making them yours.

-Heather


No comments: