Monday, September 29, 2008

Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

There isn't anyone I know who would turn down a big serving of mac n' cheese. It is the ultimate comfort food, it takes me right back to fighter over the last bit of it with my little brother Derrick. I have tried and failed many times to create a tasty homemade version of this dish. I just can't bring myself to using lots of full fat ingredients, if I do, I'll feel guilty the whole time I eat it! I recently found a recipe that fulfilled all of my expectation, and of course, it is a Cooking Light recipe. I have now made Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese for the second time, and have ended my quest for the perfect mac n' cheese.

Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

Cooking Light

6 Servings (serving size: about 1 ramekin)

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
  • Cooking spray
  • 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt; stir until cheeses melt. Discard bay leaf.

2. Preheat oven to 375°.

3. Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to cheese mixture, stirring well. Place about 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each of 6 (1-cup) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining pasta mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 321 (28% from fat)

Fat:9.9g (sat 5.6g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g)

Protein:17.4g

Carbohydrate:40.8g

Fiber:2.4g

Cholesterol:26mg

Iron:1.5mg

Sodium:487mg

Calcium:332mg









Yum, yum, yum...I think CL's Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is my new favorite side dish. Plus, I had an excuse to buy some cute little ramekins! We only buy skim milk, so I topped it off with a little fat-free half and half. I wasn't sure Terry would dig on the the Gorgonzola, so I replaced it with some nice sharp cheddar. We enjoyed this along with Garlic Rubbed Flank Steak topped with Chimichurri sauce and sauteed zucchini and yellow squash. This meal was to die for. I can't wait to have it again for lunch tomorrow, nothing makes school go by more smoothly that a great left-over lunch!

-Heather


1 comment:

Jennette said...

Wow. You own 6 ramekins? I thought owning 4 was grown up, but now you have me beat. ;)

I like the full-fat stuff, myself, but I'm sure I would enjoy this. I mean, it's still noodles and cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe.