Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
6 Servings (serving size: about 1 ramekin)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt; stir until cheeses melt. Discard bay leaf.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to cheese mixture, stirring well. Place about 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each of 6 (1-cup) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining pasta mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated.
Calories: 321 (28% from fat)
Fat:9.9g (sat 5.6g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g)
Yum, yum, yum...I think CL's Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is my new favorite side dish. Plus, I had an excuse to buy some cute little ramekins! We only buy skim milk, so I topped it off with a little fat-free half and half. I wasn't sure Terry would dig on the the Gorgonzola, so I replaced it with some nice sharp cheddar. We enjoyed this along with Garlic Rubbed Flank Steak topped with Chimichurri sauce and sauteed zucchini and yellow squash. This meal was to die for. I can't wait to have it again for lunch tomorrow, nothing makes school go by more smoothly that a great left-over lunch!