Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Roasted Brocolli with Garlic


I was looking for a side dish to accompany The Neely's Easy Lemon Chicken Pasta. I wanted a very simple recipe because I did not want to outshine or overpower my main dish. I search the Food Network website using the key words, roasted broccoli and garlic. I came across exactly that when I found Roasted Broccoli with Garlic from the Food Network Kitchen.

Roasted Broccoli with Garlic

From Food Network Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into florets, stems peeled and sliced or diced
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Toss the broccoli florets with the olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet. Spread them out and then roast, without stirring, until the edges are crispy and the stems are crisp tender, about 20 minutes.

Serve warm.

Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.


1 pound of broccoli.

Cut the broccoli into florets.

Ingredients to toss with the broccoli.

Slice the garlic into thin slices.

Toss broccoli with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Roast without stirring for until done (the recipe calls for 20 minutes, but that was far too much time.)

I have to say that the Food Network Kitchen's Roasted Broccoli with Garlic was extremely disappointing. The 20 minute called for cooking time was WAY too much time. The broccoli was flavored well, but it was pretty much mushy and almost inedible by my standards. Terry loved it because overcooked vegetables are his "thing." He doesn't get them very often at our house! I will repeat this recipe because as I mentioned, I liked it's flavor, but I will reduce the cooking time greatly.

-Heather

No comments: