Sunday, July 19, 2009

Flatbread for Sandwiches


Whoo-Hoo!! Another reason to use the Cuisinart Griddler that I just had to have, yet find myself using very rarely... Because I have developed an obsession with the Garlic Flatbread with Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Vinaigrette recipe, I decided to try my hand a some versatile flatbread that can be used for anything. My friend Susan from the CLBB suggested this Flatbread for Sandwiches recipe. She is an awesome Mom of grown boys and often makes large batches of these flatbreads for them so that they can throw something together on the go and aren't spending an arm and a leg eating out.


Flatbread for Sandwiches
Adapted from arabic-bites.blogspot.com
Makes 16 flat breads

2 cups white whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs instant yeast
1 tbs sugar
2 cups warm water

Place all ingredients in bowl of mixer. Using the dough hook and starting on low mix until the dough is cohesive. Increase mixer to 2 and knead for 10 minutes. It will be a soft dough.

Oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl turning to coat with oil. You may need to oil your hands first. Cover and let rise until double, 30-45 minutes.

Divide into 16 pieces and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Roll out each piece to an 8" diameter round. Dough will be soft and not be perfectly round once you transfer to a hot griddle or cast iron skillet. Brown on both sides.

Place all ingredients in bowl of mixer.

Using the dough hook and starting on low mix until the dough is cohesive.

Increase mixer to 2 and knead for 10 minutes.

It will be a soft dough.

Oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl turning to coat with oil. You may need to oil your hands first.

Cover and let rise until double, 30-45 minutes.

The dough, doubled in size.

Divide into 16 pieces.

Cover with oiled plastic wrap (I cut a gallon sized ziplock bag and used that so I could wash and reuse it the next time I make this recipe.

Roll out each piece to an 8" diameter round. (Or as close to round as you can get it if you are me!)

Transfer to a hot griddle or cast iron skillet.

Brown on both sides.

Yum-yum-yum. The recipe, Flatbread for Sandwiches, that Susan gave me is excellent! I am sure that mine do not look as pretty as hers do (hey, I am still learning here) but they sure do taste great. I used regular WW flour instead of the white WW and I added a teaspoon of garlic powder into the dough so each piece of bread has a mild garlic flavor. We have used them for sandwiches and in the place of a tortilla for quick quesadillas. I plan on using them as pizza crusts in the next few days, if I don't get through all 16 pieces, Susan has assured me that they freeze up beautifully. This recipe was not very labor intensive, although I did have a bit of trouble at first transferring the rolled dough onto my Griddler. Rolling the dough onto the rolling pin and then carrying it on the pin over to the Griddler seemed to be my best bet. Before school begins I am going to make about a million of these so that we have them for sandwiches once we are back to the grind. With or without the garlic salt, you will adore these!

-Heather

3 comments:

Lo said...

Love this idea -- and I'll bet these flatbreads are super versatile.

Did you end up using any for pizza crusts?

Ashley said...

These look gorgeous! What a great thing to make at home :)

Heather Williams said...

Hey Lo! I actually have not used any as a pizza crust yet because I have been out of town for a few weeks. I plan on making more of these soon and I am going to experiment with the pizza idea :)

-Heather

Ashley,

Thanks! I am going to make a bunch and freeze them before school starts.

-Heather